Thursday, October 16, 2008

13 Quotations Regarding History

Here are 13 quotations regarding history, but remember…..one lifted line doesn’t necessarily identify the person’s entire philosophy regarding the love of or the importance of history.

1. Don’t forget your history nor your destiny.
Attributed to Bob Marley

2. History makes people wise.
Attributed to Sir Francis Bacon

3. History is written by the victors.
Attributed to Winston Churchill

4. The history of the world is full of men who rose to leadership, by sheer force of self-confidence, bravery, and tenacity.
Attributed to Mahatma Ganhi

5. Ideas shape the course of history.
Attributed to John Maynard Keyes

6. I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

7. There is a history in all men’s lives.
Attributed to William Shakespeare

8. History is fables agreed upon.
Atributed to Voltaire

9. A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Attributed to Robert Heinlein

10. If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience?
Attributed to George Bernard Shaw

11. The causes of events are ever more interesting than the events themselves.
Attributed to Marcus Tulius Cicero

12. History is but a confused heap of facts.
Attributed to Miguel de Cervantes

13. History is more or less bunk
Attibuted to Henry Ford.

Other bloggers participate in Thursday Thirteen. You can locate them here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew some of those and it was interesting to read the others for the first time. When I saw the subject of your TT I wondered if you'd include te Ford quote (which I totally disagree with)!

EHT said...

There are many of the quotes I posted above that I personally disagree with, but I decided to include those I liked and those I didn't.

Yes, I totally disagree with Mr. Ford's statement. History is too facinating to be bunk. :)

Patsy said...

Hummm as a non-History buff I agree with some that probably don't. It was an interesting read, and I do know history is important even if I don't find it fasinating. :)

Dan Edwards said...

History is people.

Attributed to Polski3

cro said...

Hi... i'm big fan of your blog, and I'm writing a blog to based on what happende on certain date... (happenedonthisday.blogspot.com).
Would you like to exchange links...thank you, expecting the next post

Ed Darrell said...

The Ford quote is in Bartlett's. I think we can say he said it:
http://timpanogos.wordpress.com/?s=%22history+is+bunk%22